Saturday, August 15, 2015

New apartment // Student subjection in Finland

So, this happened: I signed some rental papers on wednesday and yesterday my GF got two keys for our new apartment. I can't officially move in until end of September, because of notice period on my current apartment, but technically we can start moving whenever we can. This is big step forward in my life, and I have been waiting for something like this to happen. Moving in with my GF was already planned pre-summer, as I said on previous posts, but it couldn't be done, because couldn't really find suitable apartment. Now that papers are signed, and my GF has the keys, I am very happy. Life goes forward for a change.

I still have some things to work through before I move in; I don't know where I get money from for September, and also what I do this fall. I will have to visit KELA to see what I can do with rehab thingy, if I can do anything. I will be studying next year, at least a bit, as distance studies. I will have to get 20 study credits before I get my study aid back, and that's what I'm aiming for. But because I'll have to study without aid, I'll have to either get a job, or get social aid. I can't get myself to be unemployed, because I have place to study, and I registered for next academic year.




Another thing I want to talk about, is Finnish government and their subjection of youngsters/students. We noticed with my girlfriend, that she won't get full student aid, just because her parents has "too high" income. She will move to live out of her parents' apartment, but still, their income affects her aid. That wasn't the thing two years back when I moved to live on my own, and I can't see any logic why that is thing now. The ruling changed for 2014-2015 academic year, and I can't see any other reason for them to do this, than to make students even poorer. Maybe they wanted parents to help their children, but that's not the case in every family, probably not even in the most of them. If child moves to live on their own, they should get full student aid, no matter the income of the family. Earlier, in 2012 when I moved to live on my own, the age where family income stopped affecting, was 18 years. Now, it's 20 years. WHY? I have no idea.

Not every parent is wanting, or capable to financially help their young, even if the income is big. There might be big families, with 4 or more youngs, who are moving out year after each other. Even with big(gish) income, the parents might not be able to help all of them, but government forces them to. The new system just doesn't work. Stop subjecting students, we are the future. Take away all our money, and we will be on the streets begging for money, or living on the street, because we have no money; ending up out of studies, because we don't have money to study. Is that what the government wants? It seems like that. They are cutting from studying, they are cutting from students. They are cutting from Finland's future. Great job government, great f*cking job.


But yeah, I hope everyone had great summer (so far), and the people who have started or are starting on new school, take care, first weeks are hard in new place, but you can do it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment